Monday, March 11, 2013

The Verve

As you can probably tell, it has been quite awhile since my last post.  However, I've experienced a lot of changes lately that have motivated me to pick up where I left off.  Someone told me once that the universe gives you signs about your fate.  While we as human beings are the only ones who can actually make our day-to-day decisions, the proposal of these universal signs prompted me to pay more attention to my surroundings.  I've always been a big believer in fate and the whole "everything happens for a reason" cliche because every issue or challenge that we encounter is part of the continuous lesson of life.  Each and every person is there to teach us about who we desire to be as well as to help us determine our standards for friendships and relationships.  We receive universal signs as our own personal radar to eliminate those that fall below the standards.  For example, I had this incredible best friend for about 3 years.  We were so close that we constantly joked about having the same brain, and we never really fought.  After living together for a year, our friendship dissolved and it absolutely broke my heart.  I couldn't figure out what happened and did everything possible to fix whatever was broken, but after months of trying, it began to feel hopeless and I eventually gave up.  I had finally come to the conclusion that we had changed and we weren't meant to be in each others' lives anymore.  We were both obsessed with musicals and we had certain songs that we liked to sing together in the car.  This one day I was driving along and "Bittersweet Symphony" by the Verve came on my iPod.  Within 30 seconds of the song's intro, I found myself driving right past my old friend.  I was so in shock that I wasn't even sure how to react, so I slowly lifted my hand and waved, but unfortunately, he just looked at me, smirked, and kept on driving as if I didn't exist.  I knew right then and there that my conclusion had been correct.  We were originally in each others' lives for a reason.  I met Adam because he was there to help me find the real me: the girl that loves to do goofy impressions, fart out loud in public, and research the shit out of Lady Gaga's symbolism.  I am thankful every day for what he did for me and our memories will never fade.  I'm not sure if I impacted his life, but I do know that I helped him realize that he doesn't want to be friends with people that are pessimistic and negative.  It was bitter to lose such an adventurous and amazing friendship, but it sure was sweet to have him for the time that I did.  It's safe to say that he was my verve.

No comments:

Post a Comment