Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Part of Me

"This is the part of me that you're never gonna ever take away from me."  Since last night, I've been doing a lot of thinking about who I am and who I want to be.  So if you don't know a lot about me, I'm here to fill you in.  I love to laugh and joke around more than I like to be serious.  I'm typically a pretty hyper person and my jokes/references are sometimes too provocative and maybe a little offensive to some people, but it's who I am.  I try not to think too much before I speak because I like to say what I want to say and when I want to say it.  I make a lot of Dane Cook references because he is my all time favorite comedian for obvious reasons. I'm very open about things that "normal" people would be private about... especially "normal" girls.  On the spectrum of the girly and tomboy descriptions, I consider myself to fall somewhere in the middle.  I feel ugly if I don't wear makeup and have my hair fixed, but I don't like to dress up that often.  I'm a t shirt and jeans kind of a girl.  I'd prefer to wear a neon tanktop with skinny jeans and my Nike high tops to a party rather than heels and a dress that's completely uncomfortable.  My room is spraypainted with neon colors, not pink with princess decorations.  Some people say that I act too much like a "bro" but I don't think a "bro" would walk around with makeup on and highlights in his hair.  I like pretty much any type of music.  Some days I'm listening to my classic rock playlists and some days I'm belting out glee mashups.  I live for horror and gory movies.  I love to dance, even though sometimes I look ridiculous.  Me and my roommate are going to start a flash mob and perform on campus by the time we graduate.  Lastly, I have two tattoos.  One of them is located in the middle of my shoulders and it says "don't stop believin'" and the other is on the inside of my bicep on my left arm.  It's the libra balance symbol and it means to keep balance in your life.  Anyways, now you have an idea of who I am.  Well in the past few months, I've felt the need to try and change who I am to be more appealing to guys and more respected by my friends.  I've been dressing more fashionably for class, thinking way too hard before I send a text to a guy, and even holding off on changing into my comfy clothes when I get home.  I've been trying so hard to convince myself that that's how I should be, that I need to be more "normal".  But then last night, I realized that I don't want to be "normal".  I don't want to be in a stereotype.  I want to be exactly who I am and I don't want anyone to try and change me.  If you don't like me for me, then get out of my life because there's no room for haters.  My point in all of this is to be you and only you.  You can't let other people's opinions get in the way of who you really are.  Don't live your life trying to impress everyone, because it will never happen.  There will always be people that have something bad to say about you and when those people come around, distance yourself because they are not worth the trouble.  Just be comfortable with yourself and when you look in the mirror, make sure YOU'RE happy with who YOU are.  Your opinion of yourself comes first and foremost.  Now don't get me wrong, there is always room for improvement.  For instance, I have terrible study skills and I could stand to exercise more often, but those are the things that I have to fix for myself because it'll be better for me in the long run.  But I'm not gonna starve myself to look like what some people refer to as "beautiful" just because some guy doesn't appreciate my curves.  It's important to remember that giving your heart to someone is okay, just don't give them all of you.  You are no one's property but your own.  Love yourself and be proud of who you are, cause chances are, you're an amazing person underneath the "normal" disguise.

No comments:

Post a Comment